Monday, June 2, 2008

Heat, Dust and Cricket

I'm in the exquisite insanity of Delhi, in Main Bazar, Pahargunge, the intensely packed area near the train station where all of one's senses get assaulted at once, but its like an addiction that I seem to keep needing. I love hearing the call to prayer and the Hindu temple devotional music in the morning, mixing with the sounds of commerce and traffic. Delhi however is a mix of the chaotic and breezy open spaces, I had a nice long walk yesterday in the beautiful park along the gateway of India after a delightful day at the National museum. The heat had debated a bit due to unexpected showers, unusual at this time of year, but its back now full force, its like sitting by an open fire, so getting to Shimla on Thursday will be a relief.

I think I've finally started to understand cricket! The Premiere league games were on, all of the national teams and the finals were the last few days, it was hard not to get caught up in it, particularly the fanfare over the two Aussie players, both blondes named Shane, that seemed to catch the heart of the nation. The teams are mostly made up of Indians, with a few foreign players here and there, from Africa, Pakistan and Australia, most are owned by Bollywood stars like Shah Rukh Khan and Preity Zinta. After watching hours of the finals I was thrilled, like realizing you finally comprehend a foreign language, when I realized "I got it" after all of these years.

John comes in tomorrow, I can't wait to see my buddie and my talk is tomorrow night at the Habitat center.

No comments: